Thursday, December 16, 2010

My Holiday buddies. (Day 2, Monday, 29th November ‘2010)







Victoria and John, my new holiday buddies, lots of fun they were. Like me, they would even go travelling around; they had been to many countries in Europe.

At 9 o’clock in the morning we met for breakfast, Victoria helped cut-up my pancakes (which was very kind of her, bless her!). Victoria and John told me that its gonna be very windy and rainy today; as a storm was expected, after our short conversation over breakfast, we then decided to catch a cab and wander into town for a bit. (The town is all accessible and they are many English and other restaurants and a variety of shops as they cater tourist from all around the world). The wheelchair accessible taxi costed us 5 Euros, which was very cheap, well the town was not that far away either.

The taxi dropped all three of us in town, at the place called the ‘Harbour’. This place is along the sea, an accessible pathway has been built that goes into the town. At the Harbour they had dolphins and sea-lions, a show but at the moment it was all closed. I took loads of pictures at the Harbour and then went towards town on the walkway/pathway that ran along the sea. One side of the pathway facing the sea had many black rocks, where many chipmunks were living, many children and grown-ups were sitting on the rocks trying to feed them cucumber and waiting for them to come out from under the rocks. I took many pictures and shall be uploading them all.

After that we went into town passing lots of restaurants and cafes. Everywhere it said British breakfast and British doctors, many of the tourists are from UK. It was sad but they had nothing local or Spanish, I was told that all local stuff and markets are in the city. Unfortunately I couldn’t go there as the pavements, road crossings and shops are not wheelchair accessible. Although Victoria was on a manual wheelchair and was able to go as her husband was there to push her. Anyways then we entered the shopping area, (not very exciting) a few bag, clothes, jewellery and handicraft shops, I bought 3 magnets for my fridge from there. They also had a super market over there.

As we were wandering along the shops suddenly on the flat pavement there came a step, it was not marked or coloured differently so one could not tell the difference. Victoria and John were in front of me. John suddenly shouted out to me ‘Nadia, STOP, there’s a STEP’, but unfortunately he was too late, my wheelchair had toppled and I was on the floor. ‘Nadia are you alright?!!’ Victoria and John asked worriedly. John picked up the wheelchair and fixed the battery back in (thank God my chair was working) Victoria was looking at all this in horror. Everybody around me kept sayimg/asking ‘te al-derecha, señora?’ I was too embarrassed and just kept laughing although I couldn’t get up myself, hence I let others to pick me up and put me back in the chair. (This is where I feel confined to my wheelchair that is why its better to be with a friend or partner or someone. I didn’t hurt myself majorly but I got a huge bruise on my thigh. I do have picture of the pavement and my dress I damaged but I wasn’t able to take pics of the fall as I was the one who fell.

At around two o’clock Victoria and John felt hungry and decided to have a late lunch at a Chinese restaurant. They also asked me to join them but I refused as I had a heavy breakfast. From there we departed and promised to meet up for dinner at the hotel. I assured them that I’ll be fine and will catch a taxi back. We exchanged good byes and soon I was wondering the town on my own. Soon it began to rain like crazy and I took shelter under a tree. Well it was the storm, very windy, lightning and thunder and rain but not cold at all, thank God for that. Nearby I saw a hotel named ‘Barcelon Fuerteventura’; I decided to go down there. Went to the reception and asked them if they could arrange a wheelchair accessible taxi for me to ‘Alba Sara Hotel’, they agreed and asked me to wait near the door as the taxi shall be here shortly. Soon the taxi was here and I was back at my hotel.

























































All rights reserved. nadiahmed@excite.com +44 (0)789 6250265Please do join my facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120688481285587

No comments: