Friday, December 31, 2010

Hello United Kingdom!









The Fuerteventura airport was huge, shops and dutaty frees and restaurants everywhere. I roamed and roamed around the airport. Did not use my snack voucher as I was tired of eating, oh God I have gained weight, my entire holiday I just ate and ate and ate. So I gave the voucher to another passenger waiting as well.

It was ten now and the guy who left me in the waiting area had came back. He then guided me towards a queue and placed me right in front of the queue. All of us in the queue where patiently waiting to get into the air craft. At exactly 10:30 pm the barriers were opened and all of us one by one got into the aircraft. I was the first to entre, the same process, I was picked and placed in a small wheelchair and then taken into the aircraft. After being placed into my aircraft seat the rest of the passengers came in. Oh I was dead tired, just wanted to eat and then sleep and that is what exactly what I did.

I woke up when we were landing at Stansted airport, it was 2:00 am. I could see the snow, beautiful and brrr. Thank God, I had kept my jacket in my hand baggage. When the plane had landed and it was safe and the door of the aircraft had opened (the cool breeze came in...oh the sun in Fuerteventura) and all the passengers had left, except for me. I had to wait a long time in the aircraft for my wheelchair and the entire cabin crew had to wait with me. Soon the pilot came and all of us got talking. One of the crew member asked where I was going. ‘I have to go to Maidstone, Kent I live there but first a Thomas Cook taxi will take me to Gatwick from where I catch a train to London Victoria and then from there I catch another train to Maidstone’. ‘Oh God!’ said one of the crew members. ‘But Maidstone comes before Gatwick, I’ll speak to Thomas Cook staff at the airport to book you a taxi straight home’. that would be lovely I said. Anyway, finally my turn came and I was taken out of the aircraft.

From then on I was taken care of by the ‘Special Assistance’ staff. They were all lovely and funny. Finally I had arrived to the luggage arrival area. After getting hold of my luggage which the ‘special assistance’ girl helped me with, I was then taken to the taxi office inside the airport. The man at the desk told us that no taxis are willing to go to Kent as the weather is really bad over there. Oh no! Now what?!! The ‘travel assistance girl asked me to follow her to her office. They were all very nice and asked if I’d like a hot drink, all of them were very busy searching for a taxi to take me home (I even got a picture with them).

After a very long wait Thomas Cook called the ‘Special Assistance’ staff and asked them to put me in the next door airport hotel, where I can have breakfast and take a nap. I was then transferred there, where I had waffles for breakfast and was then provided a room to rest. Which was all provided by Thomas Cook and I am very thankful to.

At 11:00 am the phone rang next to my bed. I woke up with a jolt from my nap. ‘Good Morning...Miss. Ahmed, a taxi driver has agreed to drive you all the way to Maidstone.’ I was so happy to hear that ‘when will it be here?’ I asked. ‘In 20 minutes’ the lady replied ‘I’ll send someone upstairs to help you with ure luggage’. I was so happy got up visited the lu, washed my face, and soon someone came to pick up my luggage. I followed him downstairs. At the hotel reception the taxi driver was waiting for the customer and thats me.

It took me one and a half hour to reach home. There was fog or hails just loads and loads of snow everywhere, but soon I was back hosme safely at around 1 o’clock in the afternoon, on Thursday the 2nd of December 2010.

All rights reserved. nadiahmed@excite.com +44 (0)789 6250265Please do join my facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120688481285587

No comments: