Friday, July 13, 2012

Chester, my lucky short trip.


It was the 25th, time to leave for Chester.  I had already booked two nights at the Holiday Inn Express, a wheelchair accessible room for £150. Trains straight from Euston London go to Chester, an open return train ticket for £62, I had my disabled rail card so it costed me I think £50.

Well I was no on the train to Chester with all my luggage that was a bag hanging at the back of my wheelchair. It was two hour beautiful train ride, passing by huge fields and meadows, animals grazing, endless colours of green and yellow. It was all magnificent, you hardly get to see such beauty while living in London.

At around three we reached, well there was nothing great  about the rail station but the town centre  was close by so we just walked it. Well by the streets I could tell it’s a gorgeous city and it was. The cobbled streets ad alley ways, the architecture of the building it was a heritage city. Chester was founded as a "castrum" or Roman fort with the name Deva Victrix in the year 79 by the Roman Legio II Adiutrix during the reign of the Emperor Vespasian. Chester's four main roads, Eastgate, Northgate, Watergate and Bridge, follow routes laid out at this time – almost 2,000 years ago. One of the three main Roman army bases, Deva later became a major settlement in the Roman province of Britannia. After the Romans left in the 5th century, the Saxons fortified the town against the Danes and gave Chester its name. The patron saint of Chester, Werburgh, is buried in Chester Cathedral.

It has a number of medieval buildings (which I took pictures of and I’ll put themup), and some of the black-and-white buildings within the city centre are actually Victorian restorations. OMG! its all amazing. I shall upload all the pictures its lovely and worth visiting. It is also very much wheelchair accessible.






























































All rights reserved. nadiahmed@excite.com +44 (0)789 6250265 Please do join my facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120688481285587

2 comments:

Malua said...

Nice Pics Nadia. Interesting summary about the city but, what about the rest? How did you feel? what did u like the most? What did u have for breakfast? How are things there? and people, are they friendly?

nadiahmed said...

Thank you, and yes you are right I completely forgot to mention things concerning me, sorry about that. Well lets see I personally feel in love with Chester, the design and architecture of the city has been kept almost the same as Tudor times (1485 - 1603) they also have the Roman Baths and the amphitheatre thats much before the Tudors. The people are lovely and friendly, very relaxed unlike people in London but most of the streets are cobbled (although wheelchair accessible) so its a bit of a task to go around on a wheelchair.