Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Chester, my lucky short trip.


Hi, 
Have not been updating my blog since a very long time (sorry about that) which is good and bad both. Well bad because I’ve been completely out of touch with you, even my ‘travelling the world on wheels’ facebook group has not been updated for a very long time. In fact people are posting adverts in other languages which I do not understand. And yes the reason I say it is a good thing because many dont like the blog, which is absolutely fine because everyones different but this blog is my writing for pleasure and  yes they are many grammar and language mistakes but I am writing for fun not for a newspaper article.

So on a rainy day in May I was board of reading papers on feminism (because I have to write this paper on feminism and disability), researching. I stopped and started googling for call for papers on disability. I don’t know why was I doing this I was in no mood of writing and already had loads of work to do. I googled anyways and came across this invite for call for papers for an international conference organized by University of Chester in association with Critical Disability Studies (Manchester Metropolitan University) (MMU) and the Disability Research Forum (Sheffield Hallam University) I Chester. Well I read through the event and the submission for call for papers. The topics for paper presentation were all very exciting (if I was a super cripple! I would have done them all. But reality bites I cannot!). One topic that really intrigued me was ‘celebrating deviancies’ aha! I am going to write about this. But what am I gonna write? Aaa will figure something out. So I signed myself up (by the way the conference event was free for students). I had to submit a 150 word abstract by the end of May which was just 15 days left.

So then I began, an idea popped into my head aha how about if I use the concept of slow-motion and time and disability…so slow-motion all depends on time, like when involved in an accident the person would feel everything around them is happening slowly. So time is perceived differently by everyone, for example for me getting up from my wheelchair for me it takes 7 minutes and I feel ok, for me its normal but for an able-bodied person looking at me feels I take too long to get up as it is a slow, struggling process.

But I had to further mould my idea. Aaa lets see! I think I kind of got it: slow-motion used ins art becomes a creative technique, but when it happens in reality (like me) it becomes a disability. Eureka! And now I have to elaborate my idea through my abstract. At the same time I wanted to keep it academic but not too boring. It had to be exciting as well and easy to understand. So I in a sentence spoke about slow-motion in time, peoples’ perception and then how such a normal idea becomes a disability in real life. I took a chance and used Einstein’s theory relativity of time where he says: When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute -- then it's longer than any hour. That's relativity!
I also use Foucault as my saviour where he talks about how inclusion is necessary (a bit of boring philosophy) I had to use him because I am writing for academics. And then to create adventure I wrote about slow-motion being used in famous Hollywood film like Matrix.

I then put it neatly all together, fluffed it a bit with famous quotes and academic jargon and then emailed it just in time, an hour before the deadline. Gosh it wasn’t easy writing this abstract. And I had complete faith its never going to get approve which was kind of good because I had no paper.
Oh yeh, by the way I called it ‘When the deviant becomes the norm!’
Let’s see what happens next!



All rights reserved. nadia.ahmed@qmul.ac.uk +44 (0)789 6250265 Please do join my facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120688481285587

No comments: