Sunday, November 7, 2010

To and fro Calais! Part 2.

3rd of November, 8:45 in the morning.

...Waiting for the local bus to take me into Maidstone town. Soon the bus arrived and took me town, £1.50 it charged me. I don’t really like travelling on early morning buses they are so noisy because of school kids. Anyway it took me 10 minutes instead of 7 as they was shool traffic rush on the roads. After I reached town I headed on my wheelchair towards the Maidstone that is he train station. It took me 5 to 7 minutes. There was an earlier train at 9:15 to Ashford so I decided to catch that one. Its better to be early than late. The informed the station management to assist me on the early train. After a anxious wait the train arrived one of the station supervisors helped me on to the train by putting a ramp between the platform and the train gap, so I could just wheel myself in to the train. Which is very convenient, but in order to receive such assistance you have to call them up earlier at 0800 7834524. When I was in the train I realized I didn’t have breakfast, my stomach was growling, thankfully I had kept my home-made sandwich and a bottle of water which I had on the train. On my way to Ashford I was too busy eating, it took me an hour and a few minutes to arrive. Now I was waiting at the Ashford International Train Station for the train to Dover. It was the next platform and many were waiting I saw a young boy reading a magazine which had naked women on the cover, I also saw a group of Chinese students, an old man and a women puffing away on cigarettes, a mom trying to discipline her children and a young couple all waiting for the train. On the train I managed to get out of my wheelchair and made myself comfortable on the train seats. ‘Thats nice’, I thought there was hardly anyone in my train compartment ‘I guess they might be sitting in the other ones’, and then I made myself comfortable and looked out of the window. The train travelled along the coast soon I could see the White Cliffs of Dover, magnificent it all was. After an hour’s train ride I was at the Dover Priory train station.

When I came out of the train station I saw a motel called Priory Hotel. I could see the cliffs they are all white due to limestone. The weather was very mild but cloudy, say 15 degrees so I had to wear my jacket. Thank God it wasn’t raining. Anyway, so right next to the station was the bus stop, there were the P&O buses that take passengers to the port. They come to the station every fifteen minutes, which was good. Fortunately I had to just wait for 5 minutes for the bus. The driver got out and pulled out the ramp, the driver was very helpful and impressed when he heard I am travelling from Maidstone on my own. The bus ticket is £2 but the bus driver let me go for free, which was a score.

‘Welcome to the Port of Dover’ it said in big bold letter at the entrance. I could feel the cool sea breeze on my face. ‘Oh gosh! My hairs gonna become frizzy’ and that what the first thing popped into my mind when I felt the cool sea breeze. ‘Uh, who bothers but o French man will wanna bump into me having messy hair!’ Relax Nadia, you are on a day-break enjoy it, I thought it. Sorry about speaking my thoughts aloud, got a bit distracted there, but seriously this what came into my head. Back to the port, yeh so in the bus at the port, I was the only passenger on the bus (I think people come earlier) so the driver kept chatting with me kept asking me questions like ‘have you been in a wheelchair all your life?’ ‘Aren’t you scared going on ure own?’ and I am use to all these question and I politely answered all his questions. I feel so proud in saying ‘Whats there scared to be about, I enjoy being adventurous!’ It took just 7 minutes for the bus to reach the port, the driver once again pulled out the ramp and I wheeled myself out. ‘Nifty lil wheelchair you’ve there!’ I agreed with him and exchanged good byes.








All rights reserved. nadiahmed@excite.com +44 (0)789 6250265Please do join my facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120688481285587

7 comments:

Sana said...

Oooooo I am anxiously waiting for the next installment!

nadiahmed said...

Thanks a million, comments like these keep me going.

Anonymous said...

Your amazing way you write your blogs is so super nice! Your expressing yourself gives the reader the essence of the place. And your persistence in defeating these obstacles that come your way is something that i admire .... waiting for the next adventure that you'll take your readers to :) I sincerely enjoy reading your blogs :)

nadiahmed said...

My Anonymous friend, this is not the end I still have two more parts to wrie on. Thank you and looking forward to read ure lovely feedback.

Anonymous said...

:D tyvm, Nadia !! Next time I'll be sure to sign my comments..
Maribel :)

Anonymous said...

LOve the way u write! U are so brave Nadia! U go girl!!Wish i were as brave...

Md. Aliullah said...

great going.
i would like to suggest u to incorporate more picture to describe situation/scenes.though your words good enough to keep me reading till the end.